- 1 How to
- 2 Features
- 3 Brainstorming
- 4 Issues
- 4.1 Content Deletion
- 4.2 Content Reappropriation
- 4.3 Content ID
- 4.4 Link Wrapping
- 4.5 Unequal treatment of indie artists
- 4.6 Lack of 3rd party copyright claim challenge
- 4.7 Poor Safari Support
- 5 See Also
How to export your data
Youtube has the following content from users:
- video posts
- list of subscriptions to YouTube channels
- comments on videos
- likes of videos
- history of videos watched
Has anyone successfully exported all of these? In what format(s)?
Any luck importing to your own site (PESOS)? Or start POSSEing instead?
- There was a watch history in the API, but this was removed September 15, 2016. A partial history can still be downloaded through Google Takeout.
- Export on-YouTube subscriptions as an OPML file that can be imported/used by feed readers. This export option can be found in the subscription manager.
- Does YouTube have feeds for users to download their content?
Live permalink: http://youtu.be/0NUbLJ-Q3Ck
- video as primary content - just below "YouTube" banner with search box (scrolled off the top)
- name of video below the primary content, ellipsed at width of video content.
- author with photo, name, number of videos posted, subscribe webaction and subscriber count, clustered and left-aligned under the video name
- counts related to the video, right-aligned with right edge of video, including:
- views count
- thumb up down counts
- thumb up "Like" thumb down props/unprops webaction buttons
- tabbed navigation among
- About Share Add to Transcript (menu? icon) Statistics (bar chart icon) Report (flag icon)
- Share section appears to be the default which itself has subsections for:
- Comments section with count in parentheses next to heading "(0)"
- Sign in link prompt "to post a comment!"
Unlike many silos, YouTube makes atom feeds available for all channels.
Feed discoverability has been a problem, but URLs are easily mapped to their feed equivalents by hand:
YouTube provides tools for creating subtitles and translations for videos.
Videos can accept community contributions of subtitles or translations. After a translation is submitted, the owner can review the contribution and request changes, make changes themselves, or publish it.
How to delete your account
Has anyone deleted their YouTube account? What's the process? How long do they hold your data anyway? Etc.
See also: delete your account
How to POSSE
Is anyone POSSEing to YouTube?
YouTube has been known for deleting content that has been posted there:
YouTube has also re-appropriated content without permission, transferring ownership to big media companies claiming copyright:
YouTube's Content ID system automatically scans all uploads against a database of content submitted by "content owners".
Copyright claim on unmatched audio
- on 2015-08-07 Aaron Parecki livestreamed an event which was recorded to Youtube
- on 2015-08-10 Aaron noticed that Youtube placed ads on the video because of a copyright claim. The part of the video in question was from timecode 0:05 to 1:56, the very beginning of the livestream, where the video is mostly dead air.
- the same day, Aaron filed a dispute on the claim
- on 2015-09-02 Aaron checked back on Youtube (since no notifications were being sent about any of this) and noticed that the copyright page now showed a link "Appeal rejected dispute". He submitted an appeal to the rejected dispute.  
Copyright claim on video
- on 2016-01-03 Aaron Parecki posted a video on Youtube that was original music with a mashup of The Office trailer and scenes from
- within minutes, Youtube sent a notice that the video was no longer available for viewing due to a copyright claim on the contents of the images
- the same day, Aaron filed a dispute on the claim based on "fair use"
- within a few hours, NBC Universal responded to the claim
Copyright claim on licensed work
Copyright claim on white noise
- "My ten hour white noise video now has five copyright claims!" https://twitter.com/littlescale/status/949032404206870528
YouTube links outbound links from posted content in www.youtube.com/redirect?q= URLs.
Unequal treatment of indie artists
- 2014-06-19 YouTube won't block music videos from Indie labels, but it won't pay them either
[...] Labels who haven't signed up to the website's new terms, the majority of which are independents like XL Recordings, will have their artist channels blocked in the next few days. ... labels who won't sign up to the paid tier are also kicked out of YouTube's ad-supported monetization scheme. So while we may still be able to find Lotus Flower on a Radiohead fan's channel, the band itself won't get a single penny.
[...] YouTube isn't even playing fair, offering "highly unfavorable and non-negotiable terms" which undercut the fees paid to Spotify, Rdio and Deezer, as well as being less generous than the money paid to the major labels like Warner, Sony and Universal. [...]
- 2015-01-22 http://zoekeating.tumblr.com/post/108898194009/what-should-i-do-about-youtube
Lack of 3rd party copyright claim challenge
If you embed a YouTube video in one of your posts, and at some point in the future the video is taken down with just static in its place and "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by ...", then there is no way for you as a 3rd party to evaluate and challenge the copyright claim.
Real world IndieWeb example(s):
- 2015-08-20 https://jeena.net/notes/423
- 2015-09-02 (13 days later) author noted that video was deleted
Poor Safari Support
In Safari 10.1.2, browsing a YouTube video URL (e.g. ) results in a black background where the video should be with the following writing in white text in the middle:
Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.
Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video..
- you need 100 subscribers in order to get a youtube username now
- Criticism: YouTube blocks Amazon Echo from playing videos: https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/16371292/google-youtube-amazon-echo-show
- Criticism: 2018-06-18 YouTube’s Blocks MIT Courses, Blender Videos, and More, see also YouTube Blocks Blender Videos Worldwide