- 2020-01-22: Highly emailed users the following note:
It's time to say goodbye to Highly. I'm not crying, you're crying.
To keep your highlight collection, you can download it or migrate it to another service (Instapaper or Readwise). These export options will be available through next Monday, January 27, after which your collection will be inaccessible and subsequently deleted, and the highlighter and website will no longer work.
How To Download or Migrate Your Highlight Collection
Thanks for lighting up the web with us, for all of these years. We’ll see you around the internet.
Happy Highlighting!Andrew, Eric and the Highly Team
- 2020-01-31 The website has shut down and now reads:
Highly is closed.
Thank you for lighting up the web with us.The Highly Team has joined Twitter.
- 2020-01-26 Devon Zuegel posted details in a Github repo on how to export one's repository from the service as their export tool only allowed the export of up to 1000 highlights.
- In addition to basic highlighting features, the service allows connecting to reading services like Pocket and Instapaper.
- Highlights can be output as an RSS feed which may assist in creating a PESOS workflow for posting content to one's website.
- Data export of all highlights as a .csv file
- Bits of the services UI and functionality as well as dovetail with services like Twitter can be found on their defunct Twitter account @HighlyTM
- Highly blog hosted on Medium has several articles that include examples of their UI, functionality, and heatmaps for frequently highlighted passages.