- See: annotation-use-cases
On 2017-02-23 the W3C published several inter-related recommendations based on the notes of the Web Annotation Working Group. For some discussion on them, see Annotation is now a web standard post on Hypothes.is blog.
Opinions about "annotation" (the process/action).
Just a means to an end
To me, annotation is just a means to an end, so talking about promoting annotation is mistaken. Promote the end *via* annotation. #force2016--William Gunn
- News Genius (AKA Genius, RapGenius)
- Amazon allows the sharing of notes and highlights from it's Kindle platform online. Example: recent activity
Other Annotation Related Projects
In 2016/2017 Hypothesis was maintaining an active spreadsheet of sites and services that enabled annotation on the internet.
- Resources in Mirador and from Third Parties
- Annotations at Harvard
- CommentPress Core a WordPress plugin that "allows readers to comment in the margins of a text. Readers may comment paragraph-by-paragraph, line-by-line, block-by-block or by selecting text." (Github)
Annotation Sites Enable Abuse
Many web-based annotation programs/applications only allow the communities or subgroups who are aware that they exist to see the annotations, thereby making them available for potential abuse.
- 2016-03-25 : How News Genius Silences Writers (archived)
- 2017-04-26 : Un-Annotated (archived)
- 2017-06-24 : More Thoughts on Annotations (archived)
- 2017-06-27 : Thoughts on Audrey Watters’ “Thoughts on Annotation” (archived)
Webmentions could be used to help remedy this potential problem: