This Week in the IndieWeb is a weekly digest of activities of the IndieWeb community. It contains recent and upcoming events, posts from IndieNews, and a summary of wiki edits, sent out Fridays at 3pm Pacific time.
Browse Recent Digests
View past weekly digest newsletters, photos, etc.:
How to Subscribe
You can subscribe via email here:
- h-feed: https://indieweb.org/this-week/
- RSS feed: https://indieweb.org/this-week/feed.xml
- Mastodon: https://indieweb.social/@ThisWeekInIndieWeb
The digest currently contains:
- This week's past events, with photo
- Upcoming events in the next two months
- Podcast episodes on Huffduffer tagged #indieweb added this week
- Posts on added this week IndieNews
- New user pages created
- A summary of all new and changed wiki articles
Archives of previous newsletters can be found below.
The newsletter gets the list of upcoming and past events from https://events.indieweb.org. Make sure the event has a name and start date. Photos from the event will also be included, so you can either upload photos directly to the event page, or post them on your site as a reply to the event URL and send a webmention!
You can add any post to the newsletter by submitting it to IndieNews! You can submit your own posts by adding a u-syndication URL, or you can submit other people's posts by bookmarking them on your site. Full details are available here: https://news.indieweb.org/how-to-submit-a-post
This week's post is published on Fridays at 15:00 PDT
- 20:30 PT Thursday: first draft generated e.g. 2017-07-27
- 14:30 PDT Friday: last preview draft generated and announced in IRC for previewing.
- 14:50 PDT Friday: final post is generated
- 15:00 PDT Friday: Mailchimp generates the email from the post on the server, and
- sends it to all email subscribers, and
- it is tweeted out from @indiewebcamp.
Ideas and opther things you'd like to see in the weekly summary:
- Mentioned indieweb.org pages: Top (5?) indieweb.org pages that have received webmentions this week (in descending order of # of mentions)
- Perhaps combine somehow with recently edited wiki pages?
- Active Projects: Top (5?) IndieWeb related projects
- IndieWeb tagged blog posts — perhaps to backfill IndieNews up to 5 items?
- Anniversaries — things from the timeline from the past week
Enhancements to existing features
- use Census to retrieve h-cards for domains to use their icon and name instead of domain name, e.g.: from/to:
- Suggest Loqi remind us once 12-24 hours earlier
- make some sort of trigger that people can do in IRC that will make Loqi regenerate it after adding to it, otherwise it's like adding things to a black box
- Check site-homepage#New_live_modules for new ideas of for "this week" as well
Why sent on Friday
Q: Why is "This week in indieweb" sent out on Friday and not on the weekend?
A: Midday Friday is a good day and time to send out "This week in indieweb" for a number of reasons:
- Fridays tend to be slower (in terms of getting things done) so it makes sense to use that time to capture / reflect / broadcast what's been done the rest of the week.
- Lunchtime (Pacific Timezone) on Friday seems like a good time where (many) people in the community may be available to make last minute edits for the weekly summary.
- Friday seems a better day to send it out, especially since it also tweets a link to it, and Saturday evening seems like not the best time to have a tweet be seen.
- Sending it on Friday is also a good encouragement for folks (especially in Europe!) to take the (rest of the) evening off.
What photos are included in the tweet
Twitter allows either exactly 1 gif, or up to 4 photos to be included in a tweet.
If there are any gifs in the newsletter, the most recent one is included in the tweet.
If there are no gifs, then the most recent 4 photos are included.
Digest in general in the context of the web and newsletters refers to typically weekly and sometimes monthly posts that collate and summarize individual actions, posts etc. that happened during the digest’s time period.
- Swarm has “The Weekly Swarm” which appears to be only accessible/viewable in their iOS app, and has excerpts or summaries of your friends’s checkins especially photos in various sections such as:
- 🌎 On the road with 5 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" checkin/photo and a ( See where he/she went ) button to see more of their checkins.
- 🎉 Movies, concerts, and more with ~3 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" entertainment related checkin/photo, and potentially a ( Check showtimes in Foursquare button for movies seen by more than one of your friends
- 🔥 Hot right now with ~3 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" checkin/photo
- 🌟 Weekend adventures with ~3 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" weekend-related checkin/photo
- 💰 Most coins earned with the top 3 points earning checkins across your friends (possibly more than one checkin per friend)
- 👑 New Mayoships with ~3 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" checkin/photo that earned a mayorship
- 😭 Mayorships lost with ~3 people (unsure how chosen) with their "top" venue that they lost the Mayorship of and after how many days