There are several indieweb uses of h-cite:
- photo - As information on an embedded photo, for example if it has a different author than the post.
- reply-context - on the summary display of the original post that a reply/comment is in-reply-to
- comments - on comments shown below a post that have been federated/syndicated in from their original reply permalink
- blockquotes - when quoting other blog posts, it's good to provide a fully marked up citation using h-cite
- citation user interface - explicit <cite class="h-cite"> markup provided in an input text box at the bottom of blog posts for others to easily copy and paste into their follow up blog posts or responses.
Q: When making a mentions stream, should I use h-cite around each entry?
A: If you are displaying the entire entry, then it does not need an h-cite. If you are citing a summary of the entry — e.g. name, URL, and dt-published — then an h-cite is appropriate.