Location Data Sources was a session at IndieWebCamp Austin 2019.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/whereami
IndieWebCamp Austin 2019
Session: Location Data Sources
When: 2019-02-23 14:00
Where do we collect data from?
- GPS Devices
- FourSquare/Swarm ecosystem
- EXIF Data on Photos
- Compass / Overland
Manton is thinking about how he could do location, which Micro.blog does nothing.
- GPS logger (Android)
- Geofencing to figure out if David is at home
- Store location data in AWS S3
- Fetch static file minutely
- Current location available on site
- service called Athena
- Swarm & Instagram (bridged back to site)
How do we get it in a useful form?
Own your swarm: even if endpoint doesn't support, you get the summary
Compass stores in a static file
Path information in a database?
Athena query S3 JSON data
- Location services
- Google Places
What do we want to do with location data?
- On this day...
- This past year...
- Annual report
- Last 12 months - Swarm locations
Wordpress stores in Postmeta