Demos for IndieWebCamp West 2020.
Early demos covering EU Timezones around 10:00 on Sunday
- Watch: ▶️21:54s
Afternoon demos covering the Americas and other Timezones around 16:30 on Sunday
- Watch: ▶️1:32:31s
- Chat logs for demo time started around 16:30 PDT, but there were more notes taken contemporaneously in the etherpad. (Hat tip to Marty McGuire for a lot of these.)
- 1 Early Demos
- 2 Afternoon Demos
- 2.1 Chris Aldrich
- 2.2 Marty McGuire
- 2.3 David Bryant
- 2.4 Kartik Prabhu
- 2.5 Tantek
- 2.6 Cathie LeBlanc
- 2.7 Paulo Pinto
- 2.8 Sarah Hibner hibs
- 2.9 Kim Dowd
- 2.10 Chaitanya
- 2.11 GWG
- 2.12 Jacky Alcine
- 2.13 Aaron Parecki
- 2.14 Angelo
- 2.15 Joseph Dickson
- 2.16 Rosemary Wallace
- 2.17 Jordan Brady
- 2.18 Scott Gruber
- 2.19 Ki Rebelle
- 2.20 Tantek 2
- 2.21 Add Yourself
- 3 See Also
- Chris Aldrich helped a few folks wikify themselves and get started on the wiki
- Added the ability to PESOS bookmarks from Medium to his website using RSS, IFTTT, and webhooks to his Micropub endpoint.
- Added dark mode slider to his Eleventy based website
Worked on a micropub client that uses no authentication. Can write content and add categories and get HTML, marked up with microformats2, to copy and paste as a post into his site. Hopes to add more fields. Anyone can use it!
Wikified some discussions today. Contrasting today's "so-and-so requested access to your private posts" flow of e.g. Instagram with an older-style "you can invite others to look at your private posts". Examples of spam include requests to connect on LinkedIn and far more. Guest pass is a Flickr feature. Encodes into a link both what stuff they should see and some authentication bit that says they are allowed to see it. Gives them access to your stuff and browse around. Are there other systems that allow posting private/protected/friends-only content and let you create a URL to share it with people without accounts on that system?
Update my daily photo work flow
Been participating in daily photo challenge. Ran out of storage on hosting site and decided to figure out how to use another storage space she is already paying for. Quick fix - use service called Juicer to get a feed of Instagram posts and embed that in her site. Was easy to get working. Longer term fix - photo site is a separate WordPress site. Installed splotbox theme on it and working to set it up. Will put photos in Dropbox and use splotbox workflow to post to her site.
Newcomer to IndieWebCamp. Wikified himself with help of Chris Aldrich. Learning to do IndieWeb in a sustainable way, understanding the principles and understanding how it works. It's possible to go faster than your legs.
Sarah Hibner hibs
- Completed 4 wikification steps aka wiki profile setup: https://indieweb.org/User:Sarah-hibner.com
- Added RSS feeds to my three main sites:
- Screen design for open source blog:
Created screen designs with figma.com. Adding navigation to blog without being overwhelming. Including custom styles for articles based on category, category landing pages, a front page / about page. To be built on NefelibataNefelibata open source blog engine.
("remote" demo via Chris Aldrich) Added Hypothes.is
- Demo for annotating: https://chaitanya.page/categories/haiku
- Highlighting any text gives an option to annotate.
- Demo for reading annotations done by me: https://chaitanya.page/categories/annotations
- Huge thanks to Chris Aldrich for his post!IndieWeb Wikify
- Demo: https://indieweb.org/User:Chaitanya.page
- Completed all 4 steps of wikifying.
- Added Hover Image to Replies
- Demo: https://chaitanya.page/replies/2020/06/16/9806473.html
- On hovering on micro.blog username, the image with a link becomes visible.RSS to Telegram Channel using IFTTT:
- Demo (not required): t.me/chaitanyapage
- Updated each repo as I worked on it to use a trunk instead of master branch
- Fixed URL rewrites to allow pagination in onthisday and kind based date archives
- Fixed URL rewrites to allow map views on any taxonomy or user
- Backported various tweaks into IW26 upstream from TwentySixteen and _s
- Added simple map view link to various archive pages inside theme
- Updated Syndication Links for WordPress to support Reddit as an option, merged some PRs and refreshed the icon set
Also cleaned up Micropub-extensions page on the wiki with updates on now-stable extensions.
Screen sharing? **Yes**
- Fixed logic on Lighthouse to highlight what links on your pages will be the recipients of a Webmention sender
- Made some design updates to blog post pages https://aaronparecki.com/2020/06/28/7/blog-posts
- Implemented an AutoAuth client and server, simplified the spec a little bit
- Brainstormed an alternative spec to try to simplify things further, while considering invitation spam
- Improved local web cache to include media archival
Demos looking up music on Soundcloud, results are cached on his site. Can cache the music itself. Now owns his own listening and doesn't have to listen on soundcloud! Can also keep track of the fact of listening on his site. Eventually wants to be able to shortcut posting snippets that he likes (aka /jam posts).
- Screen Sharing: Yes
- Webmention & h-cards in WordPress
- First I mention someone's post on my website
- Next, I publish and ping my post
- Lastly, if everyhing works the other website should notice mention.
- Used indiewebify.me to learn more about h-cards.
- Sharing screen
- New personal site at rosemarywallace.com. Collecting her GIS work and art. Used Wix for this version, but learning HTML and Git to make a new version.
- Screen sharing? yep
- Usually shows off "exciting CSS things" but this year worked on the technical side of the site. Used a fill-in-the-blanks hCard creator on the microformats wiki (linked from indieweb.org/h-card) and found the output parsed very different than the expected microformats2!
- Chris Aldrich and others note that the hCard Creator looks like microformats1
- Jordan ignored its output because it didn't look right :D
- microformats organizers note that we should probably just unlink it rather than try to update the tool
- stickers with contact info for conferences; made a sticker for indieweb (stickers not arrived yet, but has a digital mockup with a duck!)
- Screen sharing? **Yes**
- Added webmention.js and indieweb ring
- Added inline SVG tiger animation to home page.
- Demos how to join the IndieWeb Webring!
- Wikified with the help of Chris Aldrich and others. Learned about webrings. Looking forward to applying webrings and other newly learned things from IndieWeb to other communities.
- Tagging photos publicly inadvertently helps train surveillance systems like Clearview AI. Also directly used in other surveillance techniques (e.g. tagged in a photo at an event). Can we come up with better models for tagging?
- Screen sharing? let us know
- URLs to show?
- ... urls ...