Micropub Queries was a session at IndieWebCamp West 2020.
Notes archived from etherpad: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/micropub-queries
IndieWebCamp West 2020 Online
Session: Micropub Queries
When: 2020-06-27 13:15
- Grant Richmond
- David Shanske
- Aaron Parecki
- gRegor Morrill
- Manton Reece
- Marty McGuire
- Chris Aldrich
- Jacky Alciné
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
- Micropub Queries are an experimental extension to the Micropub spec to allow querying existing content on your own website (why not a shared syndicated place) in a variety of ways
- How can we formalize and start to use Micropub Queries to start making more engaging experiences on the IndieWeb
- Grant's proposal for this session: https://grant.codes/2020/06/27/micropub-queries
aaronpk suggests: we have a lot of folks here who have worked on micropub clients or servers - should we choose some features to commit to implementing?
- manton and aaronpk coordinated at IWC Austin (/2019/Austin ?)
- swentel and gwg coordinated with Indigenous + Drupal WordPress
iA Writer's new micropub support includes the flag for draft (it only posts drafts)
- post status is an experimental micropub property. querying "double-experimental"
- New Property: Post Status https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/19
Preview URL for drafts
Need a way to query for supported properties/types/etc in order to have clients adapt the UI to what's supported in a server
- Query for supported queries: https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/7
- Query for supported properties: https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/8
- Query for unsupported properties: https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/21 (is this the inverse??) Yes?
Should sites explicitly say what properties & queries support or follow the micropub idea of storing everything even if the site doesn't know how handle it
- perhaps these break down into two categories
- properties that can be ignored if they're not supported
- properties that may be harmful if they're ignored (e.g. a micropub server that doesn't support draft status will make a public post)
- another example: post visibility https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/11
- and location visibility https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/16
- audience https://github.com/indieweb/micropub-extensions/issues/12
- Private Posts and Audience
- is the distinction whether the property ends up as part of the post or is a command to the server?
Querying for original posts
- grant - queries for a watch-of property matching a movie URL
- aaronpk - queries for an original post of a syndication URL
- "finding and searching for posts and draft posts, and edit them"
- "have i already imported this?"
- "have i already responded to this?"
- autocomplete for mentions
We reviewed https://indieweb.org/Micropub-extensions#Implementations adding known client and server implementations that weren't listed for various features.
- bumped several from Proposed to Stable.