While intended as a non-linear notebook / commonplace book / wiki / platform / software development kit / personal productivity tool / database, all of its versions and flavors are built as a website that can be served from a variety of locations.
a platform, Software Development Kit, Personal Productivity tool, site generator, database
There are two types of TiddlyWiki: "Classic" and TW5 or TiddlyWiki version 5.
Use it to keep your to-do list, to plan an essay or novel, or to organise your wedding. Record every thought that crosses your brain, or build a flexible and responsive website.
Unlike conventional online services, TiddlyWiki lets you choose where to keep your data, guaranteeing that in the decades to come you will still be able to use the notes you take today. —TiddlyWiki website
- Jeremy Ruston uses TiddlyWiki for his personal website. (self-dogfooding)
- The TiddlyWiki website is built on TiddlyWiki 5
- sphygm.us has a personal website at https://sphygm.us/ with incoming Webmention support using Webmention.io
- Brandon Hall uses a custom workflow (detailed here on YouTube) to turn his local TiddlyWiki install into a static site website.
- Note: He uses a clever template for providing an RSS feed, but this could also be used to present an h-feed as well.
- Chris Aldrich started with a private locally hosted TiddlyWiki to explore how to host it on a publicly available server as an open version of a commonplace book. Starting on 2020-04-02 he has a subdomain of his primary site at http://tw.boffosocko.com that uses GitHub Pages for hosting. He's detailed the process at Self-hosting TiddlyWiki with GitHub Pages.
- Chris Aldrich briefly documented how he set up webmention using webmention.io at http://tw.boffosocko.com/#Webmentions%20into%20header%20of%20TW5. With a traditional set up one should be able to drag the following tiddler into their public-facing installation and make the appropriate changes to the URLs for the Webmention and Pingbacks: http://tw.boffosocko.com/#%24%3A%2Fplugins%2Findieweb%2Fcore%2FrawMarkup
- Sending webmentions for a free-standing
index.htmlversion of TiddlyWiki may be more difficult unless done natively as many services like webmention.io will have issues using TiddlyWiki's fragment URL structure to send them because of the js;dr problem.
- Ideas for fixing this are welcome...
- 2020-04-26 As part of the unofficial create day for 2020/Pop-ups/GardenAndStream Chris Aldrich added a simple way to display Webmentions to his TiddlyWiki. The details and write up are at Displaying Webmentions on TiddlyWiki
- Jed Carty has an indie TiddlyWiki site at with rel-me and an h-card at https://ooktech.com/jed/externalbrain/#Me
- Scott Kingery has several indie websites including a publicly hosted TiddlyWiki at https://techlifeweb.com/tiddlywiki/twpublic/tlwpublic.html. He also maintains a TiddlyWiki-centric wiki at https://techlifeweb.com/tiddlywiki/tw5tribalknowledge.html
- Anne-Laure Le Cunff is using TiddlyWiki as a personal online wiki.
Examples in the wild
- Jack Baty has several sites including a TiddlyWiki which he uses as "A sort of Rudimentary Lathe"
- Josh Sullivan has a TiddlyWiki hosted via GitHub Pages at https://github.com/joshcsullivan/joshcsullivan.github.io. He specifically calls it an online commonplace book
- Luana Olíveira has a TiddlyWiki hosted via GitHub Pages at https://github.com/luanaoliv/luanaoliv.github.io. They specifically calls it an online commonplace book.
- Xavier Roy has a TiddlyWiki hosted at a [subdomain]. He has also resurrected an old local TiddlyWiki commonplace book as Marginalia to store quotes and words.
- There are hosted versions of classic TiddlyWiki (and other flavors) available at TiddlySpot. One can also use this silo to host TiddlyWiki version 5 as well using instructions at http://tiddlywiki5.tiddlyspot.com/
- XEMEMEX hosts a variety of TiddlyWikis
The service has a variety of plugins including:
- Microformats v2 classes including an h-card
- IndieAuth ??
- Micropub ??
- Unsuitable for Text only devices.
- Large overhead. (compared to what though?)
- Depending on the set up, the implementation of some websites may suffer from js;dr problems.