- ~2015(?) Neal Stephenson - Social Media
Though I never became a heavy poster on social media, I did reach a point last year when I was checking Twitter and my personal Facebook every few minutes. When I found myself manually refreshing the Facebook window in the hopes of dredging up posts I hadn't seen yet, I decided it was time to think a little harder about the effect that this was having on my ability to get things done.
May Harm Career
- 2016-11-19 NYT: Quit Social Media. Your Career May Depend on It.
- Counterpoints: 2016-12-03 NYT: Don’t Quit Social Media. Put It to Work for Your Career Instead.
- 2017-05-17 When You Love Your Friend But Hate Her Social-Media Presence
- 2018-01-20 
Forget Russian hacking—the real threat to democracies around the globe is social media’s inexorable and unavoidable destruction of common ground and shared perspective.
- 2018-03-17 https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/975147858096742405
- "Businesses that make money by collecting and selling detailed records of private lives were once plainly described as "surveillance companies." Their rebranding as "social media" is the most successful deception since the Department of War became the Department of Defense." @Snowden March 17, 2018
- 2018-03-30 NYT: 14 Million Visitors to U.S. Face Social Media Screening
- 2018-04-07 Buzzfed: Teens Also Sometimes Quit Social Media
Adults talk a big game about #deletefacebook or taking a break from Twitter, but true digital natives actually know how to take a break for their own mental health.
- 2018-04-10 TED Conference: https://www.ted.com/talks/jaron_lanier_how_we_need_to_remake_the_internet
"what started out as advertising turned into behavior modification"...
"I can't call these things social networks any more, I call them behavior modification empires"