social media is the marketing term for silos and silo posts, ironically more anti-social than social, and encouraging of extreme opposition rather than medium perspectives, typically with like/repost counts UIs that incentivize inflammatory posts rather than considered thoughts & dialog.
- Get Started with decentralizing yourself first, to both understand the current challenges, and the benefits for doing so
- Participate in IndieWeb discussions for how to help others decentralize their own social media
- Keep iterating until you yourself are free of social media, and we have more people on the IndieWeb than social media, at which point momentum takes over.
via 2019-03-11: Comic by Joey Alison Sayers: Posting Your Opinions Online: A Timeline (@thenib)
Harmful To Democracy
- 2016-11-15 (updated 2018-01-05) Vox: Why social media is terrible for multiethnic democracies
- 2018-08-28 How social media makes fascists of us all
- 2018-12-17 NYTimes: Russian 2016 Influence Operation Targeted African-Americans on Social Media
The Russian influence campaign on social media in the 2016 election made an extraordinary effort to target African-Americans, used an array of tactics to try to suppress turnout among Democratic voters and unleashed a blizzard of activity on Instagram that rivaled or exceeded its posts on Facebook
- 2019-01-22 Vox: Social media is rotting democracy from within / How social platforms enable far-right politicians’ campaigns to undermine democracy.
At the inauguration of Brazil’s new far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, in early January, a crowd of his supporters began a surprising chant. They weren’t cheering for Bolsonaro or his running mate or their party; instead, they were reciting the names of social media platforms.
“Facebook, Facebook, Facebook!” the crowd yelled. “WhatsApp, WhatsApp, WhatsApp!”
- ~2015(?) Neal Stephenson - Social Media
Though I never became a heavy poster on social media, I did reach a point last year when I was checking Twitter and my personal Facebook every few minutes. When I found myself manually refreshing the Facebook window in the hopes of dredging up posts I hadn't seen yet, I decided it was time to think a little harder about the effect that this was having on my ability to get things done.
May Harm Career
- 2016-11-19 NYT: Quit Social Media. Your Career May Depend on It.
- Counterpoints: 2016-12-03 NYT: Don’t Quit Social Media. Put It to Work for Your Career Instead.
- 2017-05-17 When You Love Your Friend But Hate Her Social-Media Presence
- 2018-01-20 https://www.thedailybeast.com/social-media-shreds-the-social-fabric-one-click-at-a-time
Forget Russian hacking—the real threat to democracies around the globe is social media’s inexorable and unavoidable destruction of common ground and shared perspective.
- 2018-03-17 https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/975147858096742405
- "Businesses that make money by collecting and selling detailed records of private lives were once plainly described as "surveillance companies." Their rebranding as "social media" is the most successful deception since the Department of War became the Department of Defense." @Snowden March 17, 2018
- 2018-03-30 NYT: 14 Million Visitors to U.S. Face Social Media Screening
- 2018-04-07 Buzzfed: Teens Also Sometimes Quit Social Media
Adults talk a big game about #deletefacebook or taking a break from Twitter, but true digital natives actually know how to take a break for their own mental health.
- 2018-04-10 TED Conference: https://www.ted.com/talks/jaron_lanier_how_we_need_to_remake_the_internet
"what started out as advertising turned into behavior modification"...
"I can't call these things social networks any more, I call them behavior modification empires"
- 2018-09-03 2018 is the End of Social Media as we Know It
For the first time, the majority of US internet users between the ages of 12 and 17 won’t use Facebook once a month this year.
- 2019-04-13 NPR: Under Employers' Gaze, Gen Z Is Biting Its Tongue On Social Media
More than half of employers said they have not hired a candidate because of content they found on social media, but a similar number said if they can't find an applicant online, they are less likely to call that person in for an interview.
- 2019-04-22 Time: Sri Lanka Blocks Social Media Following the Deadly Easter Bombings
- 2019-04-22 NYT Opinion / Kara Swisher: Sri Lanka Shut Down Social Media. My First Thought Was ‘Good.’ / As a tech journalist, I’m ashamed to admit it. But this is how bad the situation has gotten.
… while social media had once been credited with helping foster democracy in places like Sri Lanka, it is now blamed for an increase in religious hatred.
- https://twitter.com/tomcoates/status/1120529046163664897 and thread unrolled: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1120529046163664897.html
- "A few quick things I've learned recently from interviewing people about social media, which has been super interesting." @tomcoates April 23, 2019
- Criticism of assuming existing silo social media framing: https://twitter.com/jvelo/status/1126014424215621633
- "Diaspora and Mastodon problem is they accept the tech giant's forms of social media as the only playing field. They are attempts at rebuilding decentralized Facebook and Twitter, but this premise doesn't make sense in my opinion. A thread ↓" @jvelo May 8, 2019
- 2018-03-20 PNAS: Exposure to opposing views on social media can increase political polarization