Undo was a session at IndieWebCamp NYC 2018.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/undo
IndieWebCamp NYC 2018 Session: #undo When: 2018-09-28 11:45
- Jess Klein
- Tantek Çelik
- Greg McVerry
- David Shanske
- Chris Aldrich (remote)
- Jason McIntosh
- Jack Jamieson
- Undo vs. Delete
- Undo is pausing for 30 seconds before Sending
- Want to be able to undo a delete as well
- psychological component to this
Post -> goes to your website visible, but does not yet go to your RSS or POSSE yet (like 30 seconds)
Maybe delay RSS feed items by an hour?
code: only publish things that have a publish date of an hour ago or earlier
Example: create and edit GitHub issue, but it's already sent as email
However, checkins you want to be more real time. Maybe 30s is ok.
Services that send emails automatically (good excuse to delay it), or POSSE to destinations without editing or hard to delete
Twitter doesn't allow editing. One can only delete it and hope for the best.
Build UX and prototypes first to see what works then understand impact on protocols.
- undo post -> edit
- undo delete -> restore post
- undo save -> edit
- (should a save have a 30s delay also? so you can undo the save without the saved content being propagated)
Can WebSub have a piece of this built in for updating via fat pings when necessary?
WordPress has a built in edit history that will allow one to revert back to a prior state.
- The editor also saves occasional drafts as one writes and allows for reverting back (or comparing drafts)
micro.blog has the ability to edit/delete, but has certain time restrictions depending on one's interface