Link Rot, Data Rot, and Archiving was a session at IndieWebCamp Austin 2019.
Notes archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/webio
IndieWebCamp Austin 2019
Session: Link Rot, Data Rot, and Archiving
When: 2019-02-23 15:40
- rewrite rules - nginx + PHP
- what has been your experience with updating broken l
- when the style of a platform changes (e.g Reddit) you can't view the old style
- sometimes links work in one country but not another
- sometimes this is an authorization problem (e.g. paid subscriptions)
The internet archive can help! https://archive.org/ -> an amazing resource
See also Internet Archive for directions on how to tell the archive to `curl` a page
Note 2017 Mastodon article: https://mashable.com/2017/04/15/mastodon-has-instance-for-everyone/#NsR9h1.KDPq2
- only 3 of the 9 Mastodon instances it links to are still up or actually still Mastodon (others are spam, random WordPress, or NSFW squatters)
- How do we archive maps?
If we could have a blog archive format standard.
- WordPress has an export format
- Tumblr has an export format