An article is a kind of post that typically has more structure than a simple note. Articles usually have a name (title), multiple paragraphs, and often subheadings, blockquotes, embedded images, and a footer of references or citations.
How to mark up?
<article class="h-entry"> <h1 class="p-name">Microformats are amazing</h1> <p>Published by <a class="p-author h-card" href="http://example.com">W. Developer</a> on <time class="dt-published" datetime="2013-06-13 12:00:00">13<sup>th</sup> June 2013</time></p> <p class="p-summary">In which I extoll the virtues of using microformats.</p> <div class="e-content"> <p>Blah blah blah</p> </div> </article>
The core difference to a note is that there is a title, marked up as
p-name, that's different from the content.
If the article has embedded images or photos, where the photos are intended to be displayed interspersed with the text, then do not add the
u-photo class to the images, as that will turn the article into a photo post.
- 1 How to mark up?
- 2 IndieWeb Examples
- 3 Brainstorming
- 4 Silo Examples
- 5 See Also
There are plenty of examples of IndieWeb sites posting articles, as articles essentially represent what used to simply be called "blog posts".
- At the time, I treated my site more like a journal and the design did not use titles for each post. In later years, I added default titles for entries missing them.
- First article on own domain: Invictus
- Imported old articles from Blogger going back to 2006-10-23 2006 articles
- Had previously and concurrently blogged on a variety of domains about various topics
- She posted articles in WordPress beginning 2009-02-26.
- She previously published blog posts on other domains and across other hosted blogs.
- She imported LiveJournal posts going back to 2007-03-01.
- She intends to import all of her findable writing from across the Internet, which goes back to 2001-03-15, but her earliest blog posts might be considered long notes rather than articles.
Max Dietrich has been publishing articles using Strapi since ~ 2018.
- He first posted articles using WordPress and after some trying around decided to migrrate all articles to Strapi.
ID markup for paragraphs etc
Marking up paragraphs with unique id attributes may enable more granular referencing for quotations within them, and possibly more granular comments as well.
Blogger introduced "titles" to blog posts in 1999? E.g.
- apparently Facebook hired the principals of the design studio that designed Medium: https://twitter.com/Fahrni/status/633287361409867776
- 2015-09-25 http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9398895/facebook-notes-redesign
- 2015-10-09 https://blog.hootsuite.com/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-medium-vs-facebook-notes/
(screenshots needed - Tantek has some he should get around to uploading)
Medium supports articles with a header image, a name, and minor style-editor.