Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is a stub. You can help the IndieWeb wiki by expanding it.
Nextcloud is an open source software project for self-hosted personal web services including a file manager (an indie version of Dropbox), music, calendar (CalDAV), contacts (CardDAV), and more. It was forked from ownCloud in early June 2016.
Video discussion and reasons for the fork.
- Christian Weiske uses Nextcloud for file sharing, contact, calendar and note synchronization
- Federico klez Culloca uses Nextcloud with Collabora plugin to keep a spreadsheet to handle home finances with his housemates
- Vika uses Nextcloud for contact, calendar, sticky notes and file synchronization.
- Jacky Alciné uses it for all of their hosted DAV needs (files, notes, tasks, calendar, etc).
- Aaron Parecki uses Nextcloud for file syncing, sharing, contacts synced with iOS, and private notes
- Ton Zijlstra uses NextCloud on a VPS as Dropbox replacement
Nextcloud functionality can be added through applications.
Nextcloud News provides an RSS aggregator and feed reader. It offers a RESTful API for app developers. Available in the Nextcloud App Store: https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/news.
- Might be worth looking into adding mf2 h-feed support to Nextcloud News — assess how much work would it take, would the maintainers support it etc. — Barnaby Walters
Nextcloud Tasks provides task tracking and management, and syncs with popular desktop and mobile task management applications like 2Do.
- own your data
- Criticism: Subfolders of moved folders not synced (possibly different support for paying customers) #1000 Subfolders of moved folders not synced and https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/issues/1083