pronunciation is an online means using text or audio to indicate how to say a person's name.
“Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading.”
A Challenge for 2018!
Add an audio file of your preferred pronunciation of your name to your homepage h-card and add yourself to the list below. If you do, Marty McGuire will give you a shout-out on This Week in the IndieWeb Audio Edition!
Martijn van der Ven
Jason McIntosh did exactly what Martijn van der Ven did, marking the sound-file link as a u-sound property of his h-card. This came out of a discussion in the #indieweb chat where all present agreed that a phonetic spelling wasn't globally useful (since phonetic spellings are still language-dependent), but few people can sight-read IPA. Jason thought that an IPA rendering that was conspicuously hyperlinked to a sound file made for a suitable compromise.
gRegor Morrill added written IPA to https://gregorlove.com/about/#pronunciation for the most common pronunciation of his first and last name on 2018-06-30 . Also used Web Speech API Speech Synthesis to include audio of it and a few other ways to pronounce my first name.
- I don't know IPA, so I used https://tophonetics.com to generate it; corrections welcome.
- I used
p-ipamicroformat property, following Martijn van der Ven
- I used
u-sound p-ipato describe this
capjamesg shows written IPA with a link to an audio clip where he narrates his forename on his home page.
- Add yourself here… (see this for more details)
Facebook has a built-in pronunciation functionality to help users indicate how their name is pronounced. It can be found in the About tab >> Details About You >> section entitled "Name Pronunciation". Their UI suggests several common pronunciations based on one's name as well as the ability to craft one's own version. They then also provide a "play" button which gives a robot produced pronunciation of the name thus specified.
LinkedIn added the ability to upload a recording of your name to your profile.
- International Phonetic Alphabet
- "All academics should put a "how to pronounce my name" section on their personal website because I get the slightest bit of anxiety meeting someone for the first time when I've only read their papers and interacted with them on social media." Frank Elavsky December 14, 2021
- https://name.pn/kim-foale feat. an audio file with their name's correct pronunciation