Tags: fitness, fitbit, pedometer, physical activity, run, running, workout, workouts, health, tracking, quantified self, metrics
If you're looking for website metrics see:
- 1 IndieWeb Examples
- 2 POSSE
- 3 Silo Examples
- 4 Challenges
- 5 Brainstorming
- 6 Issues
- 7 Sessions
- 8 See Also
Barnaby Walters uses his open source HTML+CSS+JS Pushups web app (download to clone) to track (nose touch activated) and post (via Taproot's micropub support) pushups as a note variant to waterpigs.co.uk since at least 2013-10-14. Example:
Aaron Parecki uses his open source pushup-counter iOS app to track (nose touch activated) and post (via p3k's micropub support) pushups to aaronparecki.com (through p3k#Pushups) since at least 2013-11-28(or earlier?). Example:
Runs / Walks / Bike Rides
Sleep isn't really exercise, but I wasn't sure where else to list it. Example:
See microsyntax#metrics_and_exercise for some ideas on how to POSSE exercise posts into plain text destinations.
A POSSE service exists for the many exercise silos called Tapiriik - which has an interesting option to put all your "activities" into Dropbox as TCX files (a Garmin file format that covers activity, calories burned, altitude, etc that's captured from a variety of devices). It also pushes activities to other silos. It would be interesting to add Micropub to their sync services.
MapMyFitness has an app and website:
- MapMyRun, mapmyrun.com which claims to be able to aggregate fitness posts/activities from nearly all other fitness silos, and then provides access to them with an API.
Nike has various fitness tracking applications (iOS, Android, ???)
- Nike+ Running
Strava tracks bicycle rides and runs.
It's possible to setup Strava to push into Jawbone
- Aaron Parecki is doing this since ????-??-??
Strava allows you to download an export of all your data, which includes all the trips as individual GPX files.
Before GPS recording on the app one can choose between 'Run' and 'Ride' modes. After uploading you can choose the following exercise type names:
- Ride, Run, Swim, Hike, Walk, AlpineSki, BackcountrySki, Canoeing, Crossfit, EBikeRide, Elliptical, IceSkate, InlineSkate, Kayaking, Kitesurf, NordicSki, RockClimbing, RollerSki, Rowing, Snowboard, Snowshoe, StairStepper, StandUpPaddling, Surfing, VirtualRide, WeightTraining, Windsurf, Workout, Yoga
RunKeeper tracks bicycle rides and runs and other types of exercise.
Apple appears to be adding a "Health" API for iOS to centralize health & exercise related activities:
Fitbit make a number of fitness/activity trackers.
- Dev program
- Export lets you get XLS or CSV data for your own personal account for food, exercise/activity, sleep and body/weight data.
- ifttt has Fitbit triggers
- Too much hassle (AKA "high friction data collection") http://aaronparecki.com/articles/2012/10/28/1/low-friction-personal-data-collection
- Miles vs kilometer: how do you display your runs and rides?
Some brainstorming about exercise posts, including simple text-only syntaxes that could be used in notes:
Syntax: number-of-steps #steps anything-extra
Syntax: number #bmi
Depending on what device you use and circumstances, you may not own the data, and it may be retrievable by others to then infer (or disinfer) other things about you:
- 2015-06-29 Fitbit data just undermined a woman’s rape claim
For Risley, fitness-tracking may have backfired, tracking something she didn’t necessarily want committed to the record. It’s likely we’ll see more Fitbits being trotted out in court in the future, as the wearable trend takes hold, and self-tracking leads to self-incrimination.
IndieWebCamp sessions about exercise and other physical activities.