(Redirected from map)
Maps are representations of the real world. There are many services that can be used to put a map on your site, like OpenStreetMap and Google Maps. Commonly used to display the location of a post, especially for checkins.
- 2018-05-30 : Self-hosting maps: taking control over UX and users’ privacy (archived) - on methods to embed external maps, using static maps, and hosting the infrastructure yourself.
- static maps
- indie map
- useful for communicating change over areas over time, eg animated: https://twitter.com/ranjchak/status/1183723221104975872
- "I got to fit in stuff like this map of what ~150 years of colonization looks like. (Native American land loss from 1776 to 1930) which took me forever to animate so I made a gif of it" @ranjchak October 14, 2019
- another example of communicating change of 2d data over time via animated map: https://twitter.com/i_ameztoy/status/1184932194621575186
- "Weekly Arctic Sea Ice Age with Graph of Ice Age By Area: 1984 - 2019 - by NASA." @i_ameztoy October 17, 2019
- Animated (click to play) map archive page of travel: https://adactio.com/archive/2019/10/map (and backstory: https://adactio.com/journal/16058)
- ^^^ and where the idea started on Jeremy Keith's blog: https://adactio.com/journal/15992