This article is a stub. You can help the IndieWeb wiki by expanding it.
2019/homepage is a project to update the IndieWeb community homepage in 2019, in particular with a three column layout designed for onboarding three common sets of visitors and new IndieWeb community members.
see also https://indieweb.org/2021/homepage
- Make the onboarding flow a bit more direct and action oriented
- Reduce the number of alternatives and the cognitive load that goes with them
And even for me the getting started guide was kind of mind blowing. The reason is: along the reading I was overwhelmed with alternatives.—Amani Mena on 2020-02-01
Start collecting various key / informative steps to design & implement a three column onboarding design:
- Copy and expand from 2018/NYC/Organizers#Homepage_Updates_.28Three_Paths.29
- list micro.blog as a get started now option
Three Main Options
- All Users - turnkey setup, Get Started with micro.blog
- Existing CMS users - WordPress, Drupal
- Developers - SSG, setting up a new CMS (Known, Drupal, WordPress), DIY
Sample three column starting approach:
|Quick Start||CMS users||Developers|
|SSG (e.g. Eleventy)|
Install a CMS
Three Column Examples
Other sites with three column based onboarding designs worth reviewing and understanding:
(NEED SCREENSHOTS OF THESE TO COMPARE AND USE FOR INSPIRATION)
- Example onboarding path for two different audiences: https://arduboy.com/quick-start/, quick tutorial on getting set up https://arduboy.com/download-and-learn-arduino/, at the bottom, three options: "How did it go"? "Not so great" "I’m ready to start coding!" "I’m ready to download some games!"
- Example three column design for something still quite nerdy: https://choosealicense.com/
- Another 3-ish column design of options to choose from, some aspects which overlap with IndieWeb choices: https://www.netlify.com/pricing/
Other Design Examples
Other sites with design that may seem applicable to aspects of the IndieWeb site, specifications, building blocks etc.
- Example of a minimal 3 column layout from a stylistic perspective (more than a semantic one) that may have CSS that can be re-used but with IndieWeb colors: https://rebellion.earth/
- make the columns responsive, perhaps using something similar to HTML5+CSS3 templates from https://html5up.net/
- consider https://html5up.net/dopetrope in particular
- Thoughts on repositioning some of the home page content by Jacky Alciné 2021-04-09 Repositioning the IndieWeb in 2021
- Example of a two column alternative which could also work: https://bluesky-community.net/