Notes archived from chat.
by Aaron Parecki
- Realized at one point he hadn't posted on Facebook in six months, worried people might have thought he died
- Made a post on FB explaining that he doesn't post there anymore with links to his site
- Liked Instagram, but mostly used it because he had a pipeline where ownyourgram posted his photos back to his site
- They've locked down the API so that's not working as well (at all?)
- Twitter isn't really fun anymore either. Random order with the algorithm, every tweetstorm ends with the "please unroll"
- Thinks we can do something better.
- Has been posting on his own site for a while. Which is great, but very different from using it every day as a social experience.
- Integrated posting and reading experience had been missing in indieweb
- In the past we had Google Reader. Was good at aggregating stuff around the web. Was still just one direction though
- Shows Monocle
- Can log in to these readers and see the same content he has subscribed to
- the list of feeds he's subscribed to lives on his site, e.g. via Aperture
- The specificaiton for this is Microsub
- Impelemented in WordPress, Drupal, Ekster, Dobrado, others
- one of the building-blocks
- Last night he got a Push notification from his site from Brian asking if the group was still at the restaurant
- Aaron went to Monocle, typed in a reply and posted it. It was published on his site and a webmention sent to Brian
- No silos involved in the interaction!
- Highlights four of our principles:
- Build things you will use yourself
- UX and design before protocols
- Plurality of projects