What is the IndieWeb?
The IndieWeb is a people-focused alternative to the “corporate web”.
It is a community of independent and personal websites connected by open standards and based on the principles of: owning your domain and using it as your primary online identity, publishing on your own site first (optionally elsewhere), and owning your content.
Your content is yours
When you post something on the web, it should belong to you, not a corporation. Too many companies have gone out of business and lost all of their users’ data. By joining the IndieWeb, your content stays yours and in your control.
You are better connected
Your articles and status messages can be distributed to any platform, not just one, allowing you to engage with everyone. Replies and likes on other services can come back to your site so they’re all in one place.
You are in control
You can post anything you want, in any format you want, with no one monitoring you. In addition, you share simple readable links such as example.com/ideas. These links are permanent and will always work.
🗽 Beyond Blogging and Decentralization
The IndieWeb effort is different from previous efforts/communities:
- Principles over project-centrism. Others assume a monoculture of one project for all. We are developing a plurality of projects. The IndieWeb community has a code-of-conduct.
- Publish on your site. Show before tell. Prioritize by making what you need, creating, iterating on your site.
- Design first, protocols and formats second. Focus on creating a good user experience and using your own prototype features to focus on minimum necessary formats and protocols.
Perhaps most importantly, we are people-focused instead of project-focused. We have regular meetups. All are welcome. You don't need to have a website to join, but you should be interested in personal websites!
🎡 Homebrew Website Club
Homebrew Website Club is a regular meetup of creatives passionate about improving their own websites, sharing successes and challenges with a like-minded and supportive community.
IndieWebCamp is a two day gathering of web creators collaboratively advancing the independent web. One day of breakout sessions, and one day of hacking, creating, & improving our personal sites to empower ourselves and inspire each other.
See more and help organize, suggest dates, locations, and volunteer:
You may read and edit IndieWebCamp articles in other languages:
- Català (Catalan)
- Deutsch (German)
- Español (Spanish)
- Français (French)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- Norsk bokmål (Norwegian Bokmål)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- 中文 (Chinese)
- Italiano (Italian)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- Русский (Russian)
- See also other-languages, and how-to-start-a-new-translation.
- Read posts about the IndieWeb
- Watch videos about the IndieWeb
- Follow news about the IndieWeb
- Subscribe to the This Week in the IndieWeb newsletter
- Participate in upcoming IndieWeb events
- Join #indieweb chat and discuss all things IndieWeb