An editor in the context of the indieweb most often refers to a user interface for editing (making changes to) a post, whether an existing post, or when creating a new post. The term editor may also refer to a person who edits a post after an author has written it, or even more rarely, the editor of a specification, like micropub, who is the primary contributor and/or verifier of contributions.
There are a spectrum of different approaches / opinions / desires for different post creating / editing interfaces / preferences / formats.
From most directly visual, to least visual and code-like, to some code, to all code:
- WYSIWYG (e.g. MediaWiki, Wordpress, Known)
- "minimal" WYSIWYG (e.g. Etherpad, Medium)
- plain text only (e.g. some comment forms?)
- plain text auto-linked (e.g. Falcon notes, Bundle notes, ...)
- markdown (e.g. Ello, Ghost...)
- HTML (e.g. Falcon articles, Bundle articles, ...)