A review is a post evaluating a product or service, usually involving a written description, sometimes with summary numerical evaluations, also known as just a rating if it’s just a single numerical value or iconic representation like stars (★★★★☆).
You should own your reviews, just like you own your comments.
- 1 Why
- 2 How to
- 3 IndieWeb Examples
- 4 Silo Examples
- 5 Brainstorming
- 6 See Also
How to publish
(markup example needed)
Shane Becker has posted reviews as articles, without explicit h-review markup: http://veganstraightedge.com/articles/2006/11/18/5/review-y-the-last-man http://veganstraightedge.com/articles/2006/11/18/4/review-dmz http://veganstraightedge.com/articles/2006/11/18/3/review-ultimate-spiderman http://veganstraightedge.com/articles/2006/11/18/2/review-powers
- since 2016-12-15, he added h-review support to p3k and Quill and now can post reviews with Microformats 2 and 1 markup
- e.g. https://aaronparecki.com/2016/12/15/11/bose-solo-15-sound-system-review
- all: https://aaronparecki.com/reviews
gRegor Morrill has posted reviews with h-review markup as of 2017-04-02. My intent was initially to post an recipe with a link to Blue Apron recipes I've enjoyed, then I realized it was easy to wrap in an h-review at the same time:
Previously I had posted a review as an article, without explicit h-review markup:
Kyle Mahan has posted reviews with explicit h-review markup
- example: https://kylewm.com/2015/12/review-of-ancillary-justice-by-ann-leckie
- all: https://kylewm.com/reviews/
Christian Weiske has posted reviews with Microformats 1 hreview classes
- Appears as a Google summary: https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=de&q=Patriot%20Tab%2016GB#hl=de&q=Patriot+Tab+16GB+cweiske
- Example with rating: 🎞️ Mary Poppins Returns (2018) | Walt Disney Pictures
Amazon is a review and ratings silo of sorts, in that they have a UI for creating reviews/ratings and host them on their own site.
AirBnB also hosts reviews in addition to its primary use-case.
GitHub allows posting of reviews as a response to a pull request. E.g.
When you're looking at a pull request on GitHub, the Files changed tab in particular, there's a "Review changes" drop-down in the topright of the view of the diffs.
Clicking it shows:
- "Review summary" text field,
- as well as radio group for
- ( ) Comment
- ( ) Approve
- ( ) Request changes, and then
- a "Submit review" button
POSSE to GitHub
It would be great to be able to post a review of a pull request to my own site, and POSSE it to GitHub, though this requires at a minimum marking up:
- review summary/content - which h-review (and h-entry for that matter) already supports
- choice of comment/approve/request changes
- "comment" could just be the silent default - no other markup needed. just an h-review with content should work to make this work.
- "approve" needs some explicit indication.
- use a tag? <span class="p-category">approve</span>
- similarly: <span class="p-category">changes</span> for request changes
- or a custom rating field per h-review?
- or ... ?
- figure out some markup (perhaps gather at least one more silo example for which the markup would make sense)
- experiment with a manual pull request review on an indieweb site
- experiment with manually POSSEing it to GitHub
- file an issue on Bridgy Publish to support POSSEing h-review posts of GitHub pull request URLs. Or perhaps allow minimum viable comment + special-tags for Bridgy to detect. Or encourage / allow both? (why? why not just use the minimum makrup that would work?)