You should post a jam if you want to share a song that is particularly meaningful to you now.
How to markup
There is no standard or convention for how to markup a jam post. See below IndieWeb Examples for various approaches, make up your own similarly, and add yourself to the list.
There's a brainstorming proposal to use:
Content of post starts with:
- white space
- link/embed of music video/audio
- 1 Why
- 2 How to
- 3 IndieWeb Examples
- 4 Silo Examples
- 5 Brainstorming
- 6 FAQ
- 7 Posts about
- 8 See Also
How to determine
There is no standard or convention for how to determine if a post is a jam post. However, based on the brainstorming proposal:
If content starts with "♫" and next thing (after ignoring whitespace) is a link to (or embedding e.g. iframe of) a music video/audio, then it's a jam post.
In order of first use of post type.
- has "♫ " but then track name and artist, followed by youtube link
- has "♫ " and then Soundcloud link to audio
- more can be found here: http://colintedford.com/tag/music/
Content in general follows the pattern of:
gRegor Morrill published a jam on gregorlove.com:
- and syndicated to thisismyjam
- syndication link to http://www.thisismyjam.com/t/_9nrd6ge/
- redirects to: https://www.thisismyjam.com/song/moby/one-of-these-mornings?with=9nrd6ge
- text content contains only part of what was in the original (just lyric quote, and also quoted in copy), followed by see original text:
Originally posted at: http://ttk.me/t4_h7
Recent examples: (post This Is My Jam)
- POSSE tweet: https://twitter.com/t/status/686479136135626752
- note that
- starts with "♫ "
- then a YouTube or Vimeo link (could be any video link perhaps) and embed to a music video.
- u-syndication link to POSSE copy on Twitter (used to have link to copy on This Is My Jam also).
- Published a proto-jam on 2014-12-23 at Many and the Few as a like.
- published a jam 2015-09-15, retroactively added "♫ " 2015-09-23 https://kylewm.com/2015/09/nostalgia-attack-very-specifically-remember-hearing
- Published first jam on 2015-11-04. http://davidpea.ch/jams/1722
- Imported past jams from this is my jam into own website
- Published jams since 2015-06-07.
- Artist and title included in text.
- Does not use "♫".
- Retroactively added the "jam" tag to posts.
- Artist and title included in text. - Does not use "♫". - Links to Youtube search for the artist and title since that probably works best worldwide.
- https://adactio.com/notes/10874 (also a multijam)
Chris Aldrich posts jams using the Post Kinds plugin for WordPress beginning on 11/28/16. I'm using the ♫ prefix along with the artist and song title followed by an embed that will preferably play the song inline. My typical workflow is to use a PESOS set up which scrapes my Last.fm account (via RSS) for "loved" songs and posts to WordPress via an IFTTT applet. Despite the points of failure, this is quick and easy and can also easily be replaced/supplemented with a bookmarket for Post Kinds which uses the following pattern:
mypersonalsite.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?kind=jam&kindurl=@url where '@url' is replaced by a link to the song for quicker posting.
- Output is an h-entry, with a p-jam-of property which is an h-cite where I put the track name, album title, and artist name, along with a url to the corresponding musicbrainz page for the track.
- In the content I'll put an embed to the video online, e.g. at youtube.
- Example: https://doubleloop.net/2018/09/20/jam-perverted-undertone-by-prefuse-73/.
This Is My Jam
This Is My Jam of course, which inspired the post type.
Note that when it syndicates a This Is My Jam "jam" to Twitter (only if you ask / set it up to, opt-in), by default (can opt out) it includes a ♫ musical note emoji just before the permashortlink to the Jam. E.g.
Since ????-??-?? (first noticed in December 2018), Last.fm has allowed users to indicate the sentiment of a jam, though they call it one's "current obsession". Any scrobbled song can be set as a current obsession (separate from likes in their system) which will be shown on the user's profile page similar to a pinned post. Current obsessions can be deleted or changed at any time, but are set to automatically expire within a week.
For now, just publish your jam as a note that starts with a link to the (music) video or audio that you are jamming.
Possible improvement: markup the media file itself in your post as a download to make it part of your podcast - which could also allow for a distributed version of the "Listen to your friends" feature on This Is My Jam.
Jam type indicator
Simple/dumb proposal for indicating that a post is a "jam" post:
- start text content of post with ♫ (musical note emoji) - inspired by This Is My Jam syndication behavior.
- it could also be used for a listen post - though those would likely have the more passive "listened to..." prefix text.
Markup and content
Consider marking up your jams as:
- a simple note h-entry
Then follow this content pattern, start content with:
- white space
- link/embed of music video/audio
Q: Why is the "♫" symbol used instead of: 🎵🎶♩♬♪♫ 𝄞𝄢𝄡 ?
- 2015-08-19: https://twitter.com/revoltpuppy/status/634050101221068800
In light of This Is My Jam becoming archived, IndieWeb is beginning to fill the gap: http://indiewebcamp.com/jam