How to get started
Try searching for "Dreamhost deals" in your favorite browser/search engine and you may find some promotions by Dreamhost.com as ads in the search results. If you find one you like, click it. This may save you some money compared to just going directly to dreamhost.com.
Choose the "Shared [Unlimited]" option because you it includes unlimited email at your domain, and you should use your own domain for your primary email (instead of a gmail etc.), and
- click "Sign Up Now" at the bottom of the column
If you’re asked if you want a new domain or not, choose the option like:
Once you have gone through the payment options, login to the panel to configure your setup!
How to setup a static site
From the panel (https://panel.dreamhost.com/)
- Choose Domains, Manage Domains from the left column.
- If you don't see your domain in the list
- Click "Add Hosting to a Domain / Sub-Domain"
- Enter your domain name
- Otherwise click "Edit" on the row with your domain
- (*) Remove WWW.
- Create a New User (something short you'll use to sftp/ssh with)
- [x] HTTPS
- [x] Automatically upgrade PHP
- If you have a CloudFlare account already (or want to create one now)
- [x] Enable CloudFlare on this domain
- Click "Change Settings" (or "Fully host this domain" if you just added it)
NS1.DREAMHOST.COM 184.108.40.206 NS2.DREAMHOST.COM 220.127.116.11 NS3.DREAMHOST.COM 18.104.22.168
If this is a new domain it should work within a few minutes.
If this a migrated domain, it will work after your TTL on your domain has expired.
You should be able to browse to your domain being hosted at DreamHost.
(How can you verify DreamHost is serving your site?)
- Shared hosting: includes free https from Let's Encrypt, One-click install for WordPress, MediaWiki, Open Web Analytics, and other web software, "unlimited" storage & bandwidth, the usual Apache / PHP / MySQL plus Rails, Python, & Perl, shell access, and cron jobs
- Managed WordPress hosting
- Dedicated servers
- Domain registration
- Open-source "cloud" servers
- "Cloud" storage (compatible with Amazon S3 and OpenStack Swift APIs)
- DreamHost was previously the exclusive web hosting sponsor of Known .
- DreamHost made a $5,000 commitment (archive) to micro.blog's Kickstarter campaign(archive).
- Jonathan LaCour, an active member and proponent of Indieweb, was the SVP of Product & Technology at DreamHost until the end of 2017.
- In 2017, DreamHost began hosting Homebrew Website Club meetups in Portland
- DreamHost sponsored IndieWebCamp Austin 2017
- PHP settings, including supported versions and extensions: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001301686-Default-PHP-settings-at-DreamHost