The 2021 IndieWeb Gift Calendar is the 5th annual group effort to gift (ship) one or more IndieWeb-related thing(s) each day of December that others can use to improve their IndieWeb experience.
This can be anything from major wiki documentation contributions / improvements to shipping updates on any of the IndieWeb applications (like social readers), services, CMSs, plugins, community libraries, or any other projects in use by multiple folks.
Welcome to the 5th annual IndieWeb Gift Calendar! Anyone can participate, and if you’re looking for ideas, see the Inspiration section below.
Please keep in mind the Considerations and if you’re not sure, you may want to first make a commitment for yourself (and follow through) to ship something you’ll use on your own site, as it will likely help reveal ways to improve things for the community as a whole that others can also use.
Once you've finished something, write a short blog post and link to it in the calendar below!
Gifts can be anything from major wiki documentation contributions / improvements to shipping updates on any of the IndieWeb applications (like social readers), services, CMSs, plugins, community libraries, or any other projects in use by multiple folks.
Please keep in mind the following considerations when adding something to a day:
- It must be shipping / usable, not just a blog post announcing / saying you plan to do it.
- Is it clear what your thing does?
- Is it clear how someone is supposed to use it or otherwise benefit from it?
- What use-case does it solve for others (besides yourself)? Ask yourself, how would/could someone else in the community use the thing I'm posting?
- If it's a markup / styling example, is it clear what its purpose is, and how someone could/should copy the markup/styling and customize it for their own site?
- If it's a programming example, is it clear how an indieweb site could use the code, using what language(s)? Does it require any frameworks?
- If it's a code example or project, is it clearly open sourced, with a clear link to its GitHub or other code repo that has at least a README explaining how it can be used for either direct user benefit or to enhance existing indieweb sites?
Looking for something to do to benefit the community?
In general (feel free to add things here that you find inspiring in general, or hope someone else is inspired to do :)
- Updates to / new versions of things shipped in last year’s calendar
- to-do and look for something you can do in a day!
- IndieWebify issues to fix, fix one, and get an update deployed
- New release of microformats2 parser(s)
- Work on 2021-review and previous years that weren't completed
- Organize and host a virtual IndieWeb event
Got something you're working on for the IndieWeb Gift Calendar but it's not quite complete or ready for community re-use? Feel free to link to it here while you're working on it, especially if you'd like others to review it, provide feedback etc.