How to take notes during IndieWebCamp
- Each IndieWebCamp should have a main etherpad that the organizers will announce.
- During session scheduling, each session should have a hashtag. Use that hashtag to add a link in the main etherpad, following the format: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/hashtag
- Open the link to that session's etherpad.
- If the etherpad has not been used before, copy/paste the template below to start it.
- Otherwise, if the etherpad has been used before, leave archived notes of previous sessions, enter a few blank lines at the top, then copy/paste the template.
- Fill in the IndieWebCamp city, year, session name, session time, and participants names/URLs. Note the session facilitator beside their name.
- Start taking notes collaboratively under the "Notes" heading.
- Use * for bulleted lists
- Use # for numbered lists
- Avoid indenting for nested lists, instead use multiple, e.g. ** is a second-level bullet
IndieWebCamp [city] [year] Session: [name] When: [start time] == Participants == * [facilitator name and url] (session faciliator) * ...add names and URLs == Notes == * ...add notes ----
Dumping IndieWebCamp notes
At the end of an IndieWebCamp, the notes will be moved from their etherpads to their respective session’s wiki page. This means moving the contents verbatim and leaving a link to the wiki behind for future visitors. The wiki page should also include a link to the original etherpad. The wiki pages can then be elaborated on and edited to fit the style of the wiki instead of freehand notes.
- Add a one-line dfn naming the session and linking to the IndieWebCamp event page.
- For example:
'''<dfn>Why IndieWeb</dfn>''' was a session at [[2017/Bellingham|IndieWebCamp Bellingham 2017]].
- This first sentence will appear in the this-week newsletter.
- For example:
- Add the etherpad URL:
Notes archived from: [etherpad url]
- If video is available, add a link to it:
Video: [video url]
The following snippet can be put on the etherpad after moving its contents:
---- IndieWebCamp [city] [year] Session: [name] When: [start time] Dumped to: https://indieweb.org/[year]/[city]/[tag] ----
The tag for a session can be found on the IndieWebCamp’s schedule page.
An example of a session wiki page and etherpad after dumping: 2017/Bellingham/why