Your content is yoursWhen you post something on the web, it should belong to you, not a corporation. Too many companies have gone out of business and lost all of their users’ data. By joining the IndieWeb, your content stays yours and in your control.
You are better connectedYour articles and status messages can go to all services, not just one, allowing you to engage with everyone. Even replies and likes on other services can come back to your site so they’re all in one place.
You are in controlYou can post anything you want, in any format you want, with no one monitoring you. In addition, you share simple readable links such as example.com/ideas. These links are permanent and will always work.
Join the IndieWeb
- Get Started Now! Or learn more: Why IndieWeb?
- Join #indieweb chat (real-time log) and use & contribute to projects we're building!
- Read This Week in the IndieWeb for weekly highlights, or view all recent contributions
- Subscribe via email here:
|All users||Free Blogging Platforms||Existing CMS Users||Developer(s)|
|Functionality||Turnkey Solutions: Micro.blog, Pine.blog, i.haza.website||Blogger, WordPress.com, Tumblr||WordPress, Drupal, Known, Perch, Craft, Grav, Kirby, etc.||Build your own solution for the most control: Projects|
|Personal or Custom Domain Name||included for fee or bring your own;||bring your own; may require additional fee||bring your own||bring your own|
|Web Hosting||included (for fee)||free||many choices||many choices|
| Post Types
(articles, status updates, photos, links, podcasting, etc.)
|basic included||basic included|| you choose
(varies by platform)
| you choose;|
extend and define your own
|Themes (CSS, etc.)||basic included||basic included||basic included; choose from many; customization possible|| you choose;|
extend your own
to other sites/social media
|some included, may require additional fee||some basic may be included||some or all social endpoints included||you choose|
|@Mentions & Notifications (Webmention)||included (some may require additional fee)||can add with 3rd party (results may vary)||some included; some require plugins;||you choose|
|Third Party apps (posting clients and Micropub)||most included||not available (yet)||some included; some require plugins;||you choose|
|Authentication functionality (IndieAuth)||some included (may vary)||not supported||some included; some require plugin; some vary||you choose|
|Feed Reader, Social Reader functionality (Microsub)||included (type varies)||not supported or only includes posts on that platform||some require plugin; some vary||you choose|
Beyond Blogging and Decentralization
The IndieWeb effort is different from previous efforts/communities:
- Principles over project-centrism. Others assume a monoculture of one project for all. We are developing a plurality of projects. The IndieWeb community has a code-of-conduct.
- Selfdogfood instead of email. Show before tell. Prioritize by scratching your own itches, creating, iterating on your own site.
- Design first, protocols & formats second. Focus on good UX & selfdogfood prototypes to create minimum necessary formats & protocols.
Perhaps most importantly, we are people-focused instead of project-focused, and have regular meetups where everyone is welcome.
Homebrew Website Club
Homebrew Website Club is a (bi)weekly meetup of creatives passionate about improving their own websites, sharing successes & challenges with a like-minded and supportive community.
Homebrew Website Club meets fortnightly (every other Wednesday*) right after work, 18:30-19:30, across cities and online.
- Some cities also have a 17:30-18:30 Quiet Writing Hour beforehand.
- Some cities meet weekly or monthly
Upcoming Homebrew Website Club meetups
- - ONLINE: Homebrew Website Club Europe/London
- - ONLINE: Homebrew Website Club: Nottingham
- - ONLINE: Homebrew Website Club: Nottingham
IndieWebCamp is a two day gathering of web creators building & sharing their own websites to advance the independent web. We spend a day discussing, and a day hacking & creating to empower ourselves and others to own our own identities and data.
More IndieWebCamps are being planned! Jump on in and help organize and/or suggest dates, and locations for more!
You may read and edit IndieWebCamp articles in other languages:
- Català (Catalan)
- Deutsch (German)
- Español (Spanish)
- Français (French)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- 中文 (Chinese)
- Italiano (Italian)
- Portuguese (Brazil)
- See also other-languages, and how-to-start-a-new-translation.
- Read posts about the IndieWeb
- Watch videos about the IndieWeb
- Follow news about the IndieWeb
- Participate in upcoming IndieWeb events
- Join #indieweb chat and discuss all things IndieWeb