A personal library is an online collection of books that reflects either physical or digital items one owns, wants to acquire, has bookmarked to read, is currently reading, or read in the past. Sometimes they're maintained as archives and others are maintained as collections on individual page(s).
- 1 IndieWeb Examples
- 2 Other Examples
- 3 Silo examples
- 4 Brainstorming
- 5 IndieWebCamp Sessions
- 6 See Also
Erin Jo Richey
Erin Jo Richey publishes her personal library of books she owns (and has likely read most if not all) on her website:
Has a page with a few books he knows (either owns/owned or borrowed or read or want to read) on https://seblog.nl/bieb
Ryan Barrett keeps a list of books he has read and would like to read:
- Personal library at https://macwright.org/reading/
- Details: 2017-12-11 : Owning my reading log (archived)
Other interesting or notable examples of people posting about reading on the web, perhaps lists of books they have read, perhaps on another site but not on a "read" post silo.
Amy McLay Paterson
Amy McLay Paterson read 164 books in 2015 and tracked them all in a spreadsheet.
- Article: http://www.vox.com/2015/12/29/10634416/reading-list-books
- Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f6OqC9c9wpZooYW0hip8QtoCwkNjsjbwXHY8hCDbTtU/edit#gid=952505333
Someone mentioned Mandy Brown's digital library at IndieWebCamp LA 2016 as a good example of someone reading and including some of their notes in posts.
Example at https://zerokspot.com/reading/
How to mark up
Previous IndieWebCamp related sessions related to personal libraries, books, and reading:
- 2020/West: Keeping Track of Books and Reading Progress
- 2020/Austin: Reading
- 2019/New_Haven: Books
- Books about the IndieWeb
- IndieWeb Book Club
- read receipt
- read later
- academic samizdat
- Indieweb for Education
- OER (aka Open Educational Resources)
- 2017-12-11 Owning my reading log
- FediReads - an ActivityPub based Goodreads like service with https://openlibrary.org/; Demo available on Glitch; (see also https://twitter.com/tripofmice/status/1230235138341998592)
- Readlebee - An attempt at a viable alternative to Goodreads, has a solid list of features for implementation/UI
- josephine - Book catalogue system in Python 3/Django3, modeled after GoodReads and books.hansdezwart.nl. Comes with a GoodReads import script.
- Hans de Zwart's Books - Interesting example on a personal site with some reasonable UI design on presentation. (apparently done in php, but not opensource)
- Nice reads Twitter/Google-based app on Glitch
- Adactio proposal for microformats to create a decentralized Goodreads: Reading
- Exporting GoodReads reviews to a WordPress blog