Webmention is a web standard for mentions and conversations across the web, a powerful building block that is used for a growing federated network of comments, likes, reposts, and other rich interactions across the decentralized social web.
When you link to a website, you can send it a Webmention to notify it. If it supports Webmentions, then that website may display your post as a comment, like, or other response, and presto, you’re having a conversation from one site to another!
Want to implement Webmention or learn more about its technical details? See:
- 1 IndieWeb Examples
- 1.1 Aaron Parecki with p3k
- 1.2 Barnaby Walters with Taproot
- 1.3 Jeremy Keith with adactio.com
- 1.4 Barry Frost with barryfrost.com
- 1.5 Kartik Prabhu with kartikprabhu.com
- 1.6 Jeena with jeena.net
- 1.7 Chris Aldrich with boffosocko.com
- 1.8 Stuart Langridge with Pelican additions
- 1.9 Sebastiaan Andeweg on seblog.nl
- 1.10 Daniel Goldsmith with Hugo
- 1.11 Amit Gawande with amitgawande.com
- 1.12 fluffy with beesbuzz.biz
- 1.13 Jamie Tanna with Hugo on www.jvt.me
- 1.14 Alberto Mardegan with Bussator, Nikola and Isso on www.mardy.it
- 2 Publishing Software
- 3 Services
- 4 Publisher Services
- 5 Tools
- 6 Resources
- 7 Webmention Font Awesome Icon
- 8 Libraries
- 9 Articles
- 10 Extensions
- 11 Webmention Development
- 12 See Also
Indie Web sites that have implemented webmentions and display them nicely!
- See and add to Webmention developer: IndieWeb Examples for a more thorough time ordered list of sites supporting Webmentions with development details.
Aaron Parecki with p3k
- Aaron Parecki using p3k on aaronparecki.com as of 2013-05-26. Details:
- Posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention (as of 2013-10-12)
Barnaby Walters with Taproot
Jeremy Keith with adactio.com
- Jeremy Keith on adactio.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
- Blog posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention
Barry Frost with barryfrost.com
- Barry Frost on barryfrost.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
Kartik Prabhu with kartikprabhu.com
- Kartik Prabhu on kartikprabhu.com as of 2013-12-03.
Jeena with jeena.net
- Jeena Paradies using a home grown Rails app on https://jeena.net as of 2013-12-06. Details:
- Has a manual form
- Homepage receives webmentions and notifies him per email
Chris Aldrich with boffosocko.com
- Chris Aldrich using the Wordpress Webmention Plugin in conjunction with Semantic Linkbacks (thanks Ryan Barrett, Matthias Pfefferle, and David Shanske) as of 2014-07-05
- Receives homepage webmentions, but redirects them to a /mention page
- Has a manual form for inputting webmentions for those without outgoing webmentions enabled on their own site yet.
- As of 2017-10-06 using facepiles for likes, mentions, reposts, bookmarks, etc. courtesy of Semantic Linkbacks plugin. These are displayed at the bottom of the comment section below native comments and webmention replies.
Stuart Langridge with Pelican additions
Sebastiaan Andeweg on seblog.nl
- Sebastiaan Andeweg
- Received webmentions are displayed as comments
Daniel Goldsmith with Hugo
Amit Gawande with amitgawande.com
- Amit Gawande receives webmentions using Webmention.io and displays them as comments on Musings. Et Al. since 2018-01-28
fluffy with beesbuzz.biz
Jamie Tanna with Hugo on www.jvt.me
- Jamie Tanna has been receiving webmentions on www.jvt.me since January 2019 and rendering them since 2019-03-18
- A manual HTML form is available for manually entering webmentions, too
- Jamie Tanna has started to send Webmentions since 2019-09-10
Alberto Mardegan with Bussator, Nikola and Isso on www.mardy.it
- Template:Www.mardy.it has been receiving webmentions on mardy.it since October 2019
- It's a static website generated by Nikola, running on a cheap shared hosting
- Comments are handled by Isso
- The receiver is a Bussator instance which transforms webmentions into comments, which are then forwarded into Isso
Some open source publishing software with core support for webmentions and is ready for typical users:
- Known personal publishing software sends webmentions and accepts webmention comments (including webmention updates) and likes
- Perch began beta testing webmentions on 2017-07-16
- Perch adds support for sorting webmentions on 2017-07-26. See facepile
Plugins exist for some open source publishing software and CMSs:
- Webmention plugins have been created for Kirby 2 (original, more recent fork) and Kirby 3 (Sendmentions and Commentions)
- Django (Pre-alpha)
- Koype has support for updating, creating and deleting Webmentions as a receiver and sender.
- Micro.blog can send and receive Webmentions. When you use Micro.blog to reply to a post in the timeline, Micro.blog will send a Webmention for that post if it is hosted outside of Micro.blog. When receiving a Webmention, Micro.blog will attempt to map the incoming reply to an existing Micro.blog user, otherwise it will create a special record for the external site based on its domain name.
Some other open source publishing software supports webmentions:
- FrancisCMS personal publishing software similarly sends and receives
- WWWTech personal publishing software similarly sends and receives
- phorkie sends and accepts webmentions to notify remote instances about forks
- gRSShopper added Webmention support on 2018-09-27
Some additional publishing software, portions of which are open source, supports webmentions:
- p3k sends webmentions for all posts and accepts webmention comments on events, notes, replies, RSVPs
- Falcon sends webmentions for all links in posts (except maybe articles - untested)
Services that automatically send and/or receive webmentions for the content post there.
Lobsters (lobste.rs) sends webmentions for any links aggregated there.
- Prismo began supporting Webmention in version 0.6.0rc4 
- Prismo currently only sends webmentions for posted links, not links within comments.
Services for publishers to handle receiving & sending webmentions for their sites or using webmentions for additional services like POSSE. Alphabetical:
brid.gy is a service that sends webmentions for comments/replies, likes, and reposts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram posts. It uses original post discovery to find target links for the webmentions. GitHub repo here.
Bussator is a webmention receiver which publishes webmentions as comments. Its modular design supports publishing to multiple commenting systems, but currently only a plugin for Isso has been implemented. Bussator is a WSGI application, which can also be installed as a FastCGI service (that is, one doesn't need to have a webserver running all the time).
Lazymention is an open source service you can run on a Node.js server to send Webmentions from static sites. Its general purpose is to add dynamic building-block features to otherwise static websites.
mention-tech is a service that can receive webmentions on behalf of anyone via both webmention directly, and a web form on its home page.
stapibas is a self-hosted service to send and receive webmentions for websites and blogs.
It can be used to send out webmentions and pingbacks for new posts on static sites.
Telegraph is an open source project and hosted service for sending webmentions and pingbacks. You can use it to send mentions to all links on a page, or send a webmention with specific source and target.
webmention.app is a platform agnostic service that will check a given URL or feed for any number of content entries, discover whether there are links that support webmentions, then send the webmention to the target. It is intended for an automated workflow and includes simple instructions on how to integrate into existing workflows (using tools like IFTTT or the command line or Netlify).
Pushl is an open-source tool for sending webmentions from pages discovered from arbitrary RSS/Atom feeds
Tools you can use or install to send webmentions
- Firefox add-on to send webmentions though context menu (source on Github); The original functioning addon has been removed from the Firefox site.
Users without other simple means to send a Webmention from one site to another can use the following tool interfaces to "manually" send webmentions on their behalf:
For those with more programming knowledge there is also a method for sending webmentions with cURL
Webmention Font Awesome Icon
- Vote thumbsup to get Webmention icon added to Font Awesome icon set: https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/issues/5377
At least 50 votes are required for 1st page and at least 100 votes to someone start considering icon development.
Blog posts and articles about webmention (newest first)
- 2019-01-10 : Static Indieweb pt2: Using Webmentions (focusing on Eleventy and Jekyll) (archived)
- 2018-12-27 : Displaying Webmentions with Posts
- 2018-07-19 : Webmentions: Enabling Better Communication on the Internet (archived)
- 2018-06-30 : Sending your First Webmention from Scratch
- 2018-05-09 : De magie van Webmentions (archived) (Nederlands)
- 2017-12-29 : Announcing lazymention: elegant outbound Webmention for static sites
- 2017-07-27 : So long Disqus, hello Webmention (archived)
- 2017-07-16 : Implementing Webmentions (archived)
- 2017-07-15 : What the New Webmention and Annotation W3C Standards Mean for WordPress (archived)
- 2016-04-02 Jon Penland on WPMU DEV blog: Trackbacks vs Pingbacks vs Webmentions for WordPress
- 2016-03-18 James Richman on WPTavern: Is W3C Replicating the WordPress Pingback System?
Webmentions look and feel like human comments
- 2016-03-11 Jeena Paradies Initiating conversations on the IndieWeb; our UX is still quite bad
- 2016-02-18 The Register: Remember WordPress' Pingbacks? The W3C wants us to use them across the whole web
Lurking behind that unassuming name lies something that might eventually offer users a way of ditching not just Facebook and Twitter but also those other massive corporations straddling the web.
- 2015-04-20 Aaron Parecki Results from 6 Months of Expiring Webmention Endpoints
- 2014-12-21 David Shanske One of the building blocks of Indiewebcamp is the webmention
- 2014-11-29 Stuart Langridge Enabling Webmentions - inventor of Pingback enables webmentions on his blog!
- 2013-09-15 : Parsing webmentions (archived)
- Vouch - anti-spam extension
- Salmention - send webmentions to pages you mention when you get mentioned yourself
- Private Webmention - webmention for private posts