Webmention is a web standard for mentions and conversations across the web, a powerful building block that is used for a growing federated network of comments, likes, reposts, and other rich interactions across the decentralized social web.
When you link to a website, you can send it a Webmention to notify it. If it supports Webmentions, then that website may display your post as a comment, like, or other response, and presto, you’re having a conversation from one site to another!
Want to implement Webmention or learn more about its technical details? See:
Indie Web sites that have implemented webmentions and display them nicely!
- See and add to Webmention developer: IndieWeb Examples for a more thorough time ordered list of sites supporting Webmentions with development details.
Aaron Parecki with p3k
- Aaron Parecki using p3k on aaronparecki.com as of 2013-05-26. Details:
- Posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention (as of 2013-10-12)
Barnaby Walters with Taproot
Jeremy Keith with adactio.com
- Jeremy Keith on adactio.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
- Blog posts have an input form for pasting in your comment URL to conveniently send a manual webmention
Barry Frost with barryfrost.com
- Barry Frost on barryfrost.com as of 2013-09-15. Details:
Kartik Prabhu with kartikprabhu.com
- Kartik Prabhu on kartikprabhu.com as of 2013-12-03.
Jeena with jeena.net
- Jeena Paradies using a home grown Rails app on https://jeena.net as of 2013-12-06. Details:
- Has a manual form
- Homepage receives webmentions and notifies him per email
Chris Aldrich with boffosocko.com
- Chris Aldrich using the Wordpress Webmention Plugin in conjunction with Semantic Linkbacks (thanks Ryan Barrett, Matthias Pfefferle, and David Shanske) as of 2014-07-05
- Receives homepage webmentions, but redirects them to a /mention page
- Has a manual form for inputting webmentions for those without outgoing webmentions enabled on their own site yet.
- As of 2017-10-06 using facepiles for likes, mentions, reposts, bookmarks, etc. courtesy of Semantic Linkbacks plugin. These are displayed at the bottom of the comment section below native comments and webmention replies.
Stuart Langridge with Pelican additions
Sebastiaan Andeweg on seblog.nl
- Sebastiaan Andeweg
- Received webmentions are displayed as comments
Daniel Goldsmith with Hugo
Some open source publishing software supports webmentions and is ready for typical users:
- Known personal publishing software sends webmentions and accepts webmention comments (including webmention updates), and likes
- Perch is currently beta testing webmentions
Plugins exist for some open source publishing software:
- Nucleus CMS
- Craft CMS webmention client
- Django (Pre-alpha)
Services you can use with Webmention to send copies of your posts to social meda sites (silos), and receive silo-specific interactions as Webmentions on your site!
brid.gy is a service that sends webmentions for comments/replies, likes, and reposts on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Instagram posts. It uses original post discovery to find target links for the webmentions. GitHub repo here.
Tools you can install to send webmentions
- FAQ: Please read this before filing an issue or adding to brainstorming
Blog posts and articles about webmention (newest first)
- 2017-07-16 : Implementing Webmentions (archived)
- 2017-07-15 : What the New Webmention and Annotation W3C Standards Mean for WordPress (archived)
- 2016-04-02 Jon Penland on WPMU DEV blog: Trackbacks vs Pingbacks vs Webmentions for WordPress
- 2016-03-18 James Richman on WPTavern: Is W3C Replicating the WordPress Pingback System?
Webmentions look and feel like human comments
- 2016-03-11 Jeena Paradies Initiating conversations on the IndieWeb; our UX is still quite bad
- 2016-02-18 The Register: Remember WordPress' Pingbacks? The W3C wants us to use them across the whole web
Lurking behind that unassuming name lies something that might eventually offer users a way of ditching not just Facebook and Twitter but also those other massive corporations straddling the web.
- 2015-04-20 Aaron Parecki Results from 6 Months of Expiring Webmention Endpoints
- 2014-12-21 David Shanske One of the building blocks of Indiewebcamp is the webmention
- 2014-11-29 Stuart Langridge Enabling Webmentions - inventor of Pingback enables webmentions on his blog!
- 2013-09-15 : Parsing webmentions (archived)
- Vouch - anti-spam extension
- Salmention - send webmentions to pages you mention when you get mentioned yourself
- Private Webmention - webmention for private posts
- comments - a key use case for webmention, and post interactions in general
- indieweb messaging - another user case for webmention
- Wikipedia - Webmention
- an @ mention that works across websites; so that you don't feel immovable from Twitter or Fb. https://twitter.com/rngala/status/852354426983591937
- Linked Data Notifications