Homebrew Website Club Americas 2021-03-03 was an IndieWeb meetup on Zoom, and this page is an archive of the Etherpad notes.
- Archived from: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/hwc-2021-03-03
- David Shanske
- Aaron Klemm
- Kevin Marks
- Benjamin Atkin
- Jacob Hall
- Tantek Çelik
- Chris Aldrich
- Jacob Hall returns for a second night - go Jacob!
- Just uploaded the source code to https://github.com/jacobwhall/jacobhall.net
- working on making his website offer a toggle for chaning color of his lighbulb in his room :)
Welcome Sumner - follows Drew DeVault online, heard about HWC/IW thru him
Herb returns for a second night - go Herb!
- prefers to write long essays on things that interests him; first website (reasontorock.com) was writing about rock music
- aware of IW movment several yeares - has a Microblog - found HWC thru someone there
Welcome Kevin Choi
- new to programming; 2 years ago built a personal site with a template, now he wants to start from sccrach
Welcome Ben Atkin!
- personal blog on Wordpress
- Ben and Kevin : cofounders of https://resources.co
- building a wiki with characteristics similar to Jupypter notebook or Observable - "the data comes alive"
Cleverdevil had a good post on health related data this week that's tangential to the running/exercise bit: https://cleverdevil.io/2021/taking-control-of-my-personal-health-data
Aaronpk's logging of locations:
https://indieweb.org/geofence - may have details about people with implementations that hide their home location for example
See also Fire Eagle for additional techniques on providing different granularity of location information
Someone takes math lecture notes in LaTeX! https://castel.dev/post/lecture-notes-1/
Welcome Aaron Klemm!
- runs a Known instance for his personal site
Question: What to put at the root of your website?
- Want to make IndieAuth work
- "where to put a post?" https://indieweb.org/URL_design
David Shanske my problem is date-based navigation (see archive)
- If you're on a single post, there's no link to all the posts of that day (or month)
Jacob asked about having a feed aggregator feature on his own website (not login protected)
- if it's going to be public, block it with a robots.txt
- especially ok if it's "just" links and names of posts
Example of public aggregator feed for indieweb topic: https://stream.indieweb.org/
Planet following indieweb sites, opt-in: https://unicyclic.com/indieweb/
Community Specs https://spec.indieweb.org/ including Microsub