What is the IndieWeb?
The IndieWeb is a people-focused alternative to the ‘corporate web’.
| Your content is yours|
When you post something on the web, it should belong to you, not a corporation. Too many companies have gone out of business and lost all of their users’ data. By joining the IndieWeb, your content stays yours and in your control.
| You are better connected|
Your articles and status messages can go to all services, not just one, allowing you to engage with everyone. Even replies and likes on other services can come back to your site so they’re all in one place.
|You are in control|
You can post anything you want, in any format you want, with no one monitoring you. In addition, you share simple readable links such as example.com/ideas. These links are permanent and will always work.
- Interested? Get Started Now!
- View current discussions and recent changes to this site to see what we've been working on lately.
- Check out projects we're building and join the discussion (irc://irc.freenode.net/indiewebcamp)
Beyond Blogging and Decentralization
The IndieWeb effort is different from previous efforts/communities:
- Principles over project-centrism. Others assume a monoculture of one project for all. We are developing a plurality of projects.
- Selfdogfood instead of email. Show before tell. Prioritize by scratching your own itches, creating, iterating on your own site.
- Design first, formats second. Focus on good UX & selfdogfood prototypes to create minimum necessary formats & protocols.
Perhaps most importantly, we are people-focused instead of project-focused, and have regular meetups where everyone is welcome:
Homebrew Website Club
Homebrew Website Club is a biweekly meetup of people passionate about or interested in creating, improving, building, designing their own website, in the same structure as the Homebrew Computer Club meetings. 
We meet every other Wednesday* right after work, 18:30-19:30, across cities and online.
The next Homebrew Website Club meetup is:
- - local time. Homebrew Website Club meetup in Chicago, Portland, and SF!
IndieWebCamp is a gathering of web creators building & sharing open web technologies to advance the state of the indie web. We get together for a weekend to discuss how we can empower people to own their identities and data, then spend a day hacking & creating.
The next IndieWebCamp is:
We have a whole bunch of IndieWebCamps being planned for 2015. Jump on in and help organize and/or suggest dates!
How can I join the IndieWeb?
- Join the IRC Channel and say hello! We're friendly. :)
- Get Started: set up your own domain and personal site.
- Come to events! Homebrew Website Club & IndieWebCamps
- What next? See how your site does on:
How to support the IndieWeb:
- Add buttons and badges to show your support on your website
- Help with to-do next steps for IndieWebCamps and this wiki
- Sponsor an IndieWebCamp with a venue, food, or donation.
You may read and edit IndieWebCamp articles in other languages:
- Français (French)
- Deutsch (German)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- See also other-languages, and how-to-start-a-new-translation.
- Read posts about the IndieWeb
- Watch videos about the IndieWeb
- Follow news about the IndieWeb
- Check out Live Videos of Previous IndieWebCamps through the Google+ silo